Study In Australia
Australia is a country for global education & long-term opportunities. This is why studying in Australia has become popular. Moreover, the Australian government has been heavily involved in building a 'truly international education system.
For various obvious reasons students want to study in Australia to further their dreams.
The Education Industry is highly regulated by the Australian Government through initiatives taken by CRICOS. Australian Cities like Melbourne and Sydney are voted amongst the most liveable cities in the world & offer a fabulous destination for International students to stay in.
- Why Study in Australia
- Education System
- Student Visa
- Application Procedure
- Employment / Intusries
Quality of Education and Flexibility:
Quality of Australian education is known to all and you are no exception. Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 ensures that Institutions who enroll international students are registered with Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). This ensures that Institutions meet stringent standards, for marketing activities, education delivery, facilities and student support services.
The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) links 15 school, vocational and university education qualifications into one national system. This allows you to move towards the next level of study easily and importantly, the flexibility to also change your Institution. If you're studying an AQF qualification, you can be sure that your institution is Government-authorised and nationally accredited, and that your Degree or other AQF qualification will be genuine. The AQF makes it easy for overseas governments to recognise your qualification.
You definitely will not feel very cold in Australia. Many Indian students specifically prefer to study in Australia for this reason. Believable?
Most Australian courses are of shorter duration. Degree courses can be completed in 3 years or even less if the education provider works on a trimester system. Did you know that several MBA programs (especially where no work experience is required) are only of 1.5 years
Both – course fees and living expenses are cheaper as compared to many other popular study destinations. The shorter duration of the course also save money
Part-Time Work: You can work up to 20 hrs/week (like most other countries) during study period and full-time (generally 40 hrs/week) during vacations
Earnings: The earnings vary between AU$ 10 to AU$ 18 per hour
You think of the course and Australia will offer you the same at all levels without compromising on the quality aspect. Ever thought of studying 'wine-making'? It's possible…..
More, much and all:
- dynamic and progressive education programs with a reputation for excellence
- globally-recognised courses and qualifications
- a relaxed, enjoyable and safe lifestyle
- cheaper study and living expenses compared to many other countries
- vibrant, appealing and multicultural cities
- great weather
- amazing and diverse landscapes and scenery
- unique and wonderful flora and fauna
- the night life rocks
Jokes apart, there is cricket too for Indian students. Make the most of it………
Can you believe?
Australia is the 6th largest country in the world (same size as the 48 mainland states - USA; 50 percent larger than Europe), but has the lowest population density in the world - only 2 people per sq. km. It has a population of 20 million only (is that as much as Mumbai?). You will get your space (literally).
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
Australia has an integrated nationwide system of qualifications, known as the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), which is recognized by the Australian Government. Under this, students can move easily from one level of study to the next and receive credit for previous study. It brings together the quality offered at different levels.
Type of institution:
There are 41 universities ranging in size from around 3,000 students to 50,000 students - 39 of these are government run. Australian universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in traditional and modern subject areas such as innovative courses in IT, electronic business and science. Australian academics have won prestigious awards, including several Nobel Prizes, and are involved in ground-breaking research.
Courses available at Under Graduate & Graduate Level
Awarded courses vary considerably with the higher education sector in the form of entry requirements, duration and method of assessment. The following awards are offered by Australian Universities:
- Doctoral Degree
- Masters Degree
- Graduate Diploma / Graduate Certificate
- Bachelors Degree
- TAFE Certificate III & IV
- Undergraduate Diploma / Advanced Diploma and
- Associate Diploma/ AQF (Australian Quality Framework) Diploma
Humanities : English, Philosophy, History, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Psychology
- Education : Education Studies, Teaching, Early Childhood, Special Education
- Social Studies : Geography, Behavioral Studies, Welfare And Counseling, Sport And Recreation, Sociology
- Mathematics And Computing :Mathematics And Statistics, Computer Based Information System, Computer Science
- Science : Science Pharmacology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biotechnology
- Visual And Performing Arts : Art, Graphic Arts, Fashion Design, Crafts, Performing Arts, Music
- Engineering : Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical, Mining, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Telecommunications, Mechatronics, Polymer, Environmental
- Business Administration And Law : Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR
- Health Sciences : Nursing, Nutrition, Environmental Health, Personal And Family Health Care, Pharmacy, Veterinary Sci, Public Health, Physiotherapy.
- Agriculture : Agriculture, Forest, Horticulture
- Hospitality & Tourism :Hotel Management, Tourism Management, Commercial Cookery.
Vocational Education and Training in Australia (VET)
Australia offers a wide variety of vocational education and training courses. Each year increasing numbers of international students are choosing the TAFE option, either as a means of training and qualifying for a highly skilled job in business, the arts, or industry, or as an alternative pathway into university degree studies. The advantages for international students choosing to undertake TAFE studies are numerous but lower fees is one of the main criteria.
Types of degrees
Bachelor programmes may vary from 3 to 4 years. They are available across all faculties of Arts Commerce, Science, IT
Postgraduate Studies: Australia offers a wide variety of choices for post graduate studies .The individual universities offer different strengths and capabilities, providing a diverse base for research for students. Australian Universities pride themselves on a strong research base and sate of the art equipment to their Universities.
Australian Student visa application is processed manually (Paper base visa) under the guidance of experienced Australia Visa Counselor at EDWISE you can certainly bid adieu to all worrisome tasks involved in your visa procedure
Where to Apply
Applicant can submit visa documents to the nearest VFS centre available in 10 different cities
a. How many days prior a student can apply for visa
Student can submit documents any time within 120 days period prior to the date of commencement of the program
b. Document Checklist
- Prescribed form 157A
- Prescribed fee
- Copy of eCoE
- Travel documents with two photographs ( 35 x 45mm)
- Evidence of circumstances in home country
- Financial documents in acceptable format.
- Proof of flow of income
- Evidence of Employment (if applicable)
- Academic documents incl. evidence of English proficiency
Student need not submit any originals unless specifically asked by AHC. Copies should be clear, readable and on A4 size paper.
c. Visa Application Fees
The student will have to make Demand draft of Rs 30,500/- fvg "Australian High Commission, New Delhi" payable at Service Branch New Delhi (Subject to change)and VFS Service charges of Rs. 601/- fvg. "VFS Global services Pvt Ltd." Payable at Mumbai
Already covered in b) above
d. Processing Time
Normally it takes 4 to 6 weeks for SVP and 6 to 8 weeks for Non SVP category
English Ability Requirements
IELTS is mandatory to obtain Australian Student Visa
Already covered in b) above
Australia generally has two intakes i.e. February and July, with few Universities offering multiple intake in September & November. It is suggested that you should start making applications ideally 7-8 months prior to the intake. University generally takes around 4-6 weeks to process the applications.
Documents needed for making an application are resume, statement of purpose, marksheets and passing certificates from 10th onwards, two reference letters from colleges / employers and passport copy or birth certificate & IELTS score sheet
Entry Requirements / Eligibility
Undergraduate - Bachelors
- A good academic record in High School Certificate or 12 years of schooling
- Some courses such as Computing and Engineering will require Mathematics and /or Science as pre-requisites
- 6.0 IELTS
Postgraduate – Masters
- A good academic record in Bachelors Degree from a recognized university is necessary
- Any work experience in the field will be helpful
- For MBA programs at some Universities students need to have work experience along with their Bachelors Degree
- 6.5 IELTS
Australian Industries work side to encourage and sustain the economic activity. The national income comes from industries like Education, Agriculture, Finance, Hospitality, Manufacturing, Construction, Business services, Technology, Tourism etc.
Work & Migration
Skilled - Graduate Visa is an 2 years visa given to students on completion of 2 years of Study in Australia. During this time the student can work full time, or improve their English to gain additional points for General Skilled Migrant Policy of PR Skilled Graduate Visa Holders can apply for any of the following visa categories within the 18 months duration.
- Provisional Skilled - Regional sponsored visa (Subclass 487)
- Permanent Skilled - Independent visa (Subclass 885)
- Permanent Skilled - Sponsored Visa (Subclass 886)
- Or they can also apply for an employer sponsored visa at any time.
Part Time Employment
Students can work up to 20 hours a week (anywhere) during course time and 40 hours per week full-time during vacation periods if they have been granted a work permit. On an average a student can earn around 12 AUD/hour. Casual Jobs are available (A$15-18 per hour) as PT work option.